Monday, August 11, 2014

The miracle of Rylie Dawn- Part 2

Tuesday- August 5, 2014

They checked me at 12am and I had made no progress.  Also at midnight, my parents arrived in Toledo.  Right after I got the text that they had arrived safely, I started to have contractions every 2 minutes apart.  Pretty hard ones too.  I was so excited!  However, when they checked me at 7am I had made ZERO progress. With the fact that my mom was unable to deliver vaginally due to her lack of dialation, my doctor's plan was to send me home after he checked me, and let me go another week or two and if I still hadn't made progress to try and take the little one via c-section. However when he was supposed to check me in the morning, he was pulled into a last minute birth and was unable to make it over to check me. Luckily the nurses must not have known the whole situation, because regardless of the fact that I had made no progress, they put me on the pitocin. When the doctor came back in at noon, he told me that I had made just enough progress that he could break my water.  He was in my room probably less than a minute and by the time he left my contractions were unbearable.  My whole body was shaking uncontrollably as if I was having a seizure.  Luckily my new best friend, Gino, was right around the corner with my epidural.  luckily the epidural was way worse in movies than in real life.  The only part that was hard about it was that I couldn't move during a contraction and I felt that I didn't have control over my body during that time.  But luckily it went right in no problems and in about 30 minutes I was feeling a little better.  However I was still in a lot of pain, so they called Gino back in and he gave me another dose of meds. Once that happened, I was feeling great!  So happy to be having our sweet baby! 

That lasted a few hours, and when the nurse came in to check me again at about 4-4:30 I was in a lot of pain again and only dialated to a 3-4. That was like no progress.  So Gino (who apparently was really attractive, but I don't remember his face, I only remember his meds) came back in and gave me another dose of meds.  He told me I would feel better within about 15 minutes but in 30 I felt no relief.  He came in and gave me one more dose of the meds and I still felt no relief.  Finally, around 5:30 they decided that I needed to make a decision. I either needed to suck it up, or we needed to take the epi out and re-do it since it didn't seem to be working. I couldn't decide what to do because I was in so much pain I couldn't handle it or really even talk anymore.  The nurse couldn't stand me being in that much pain so she told me she would check me one more time and if she could, we would re-do the epidural.  I was sure I hadn't made any progress in the past hour, so I geared up for the epidural.  However as soon as she checked me, (about 5:40) she said she felt the baby's head, and that we needed to get the doctor asap because it was time to deliver our sweet baby! She even told me that our baby had a lot of hair! Ahh!  It was getting so real!  I was not to push because we needed to get the doctor.  It took them about 15 minutes to get the room all ready to go and get all the equipment in there for when the baby was born, and then it was time to push!  They offered a mirror so I could watch, and of course I had to accept!  Pushing was not painful.  The contractions were still painful, but once I could push, I just wanted to push!  My contractions were very intense, I would have 4 consecutively and then a small break.  4 consecutive, then a small break.  But then it changed to 6 consecutive and a smaller break.  This put the baby in some distress and very little time to recover from each contraction.  Because of this, the doctor decided to use the vacuum to help get her out as quickly as possible.  At 6:05 pm on August 5, 2014 I became a mother and Zack a father to the most beautiful baby girl on the planet.  She was 6 lbs 11 oz and 20 1/4 inches long. But the biggest surprise of all? She was a girl!! Everyone was so excited and surprised. We were all positive that she was a boy.  But oh my goodness are we so excited to have a sweet baby girl. She is absolutely perfect and we could not be happier to have her in our lives.   I will be adding pictures once she goes back to sleep and I have a little more time on my hands!


No comments:

Post a Comment