Monday, June 11, 2012

Precious Moments

So, I read the book Heaven is Here by Stephanie Nielson.  You know, the lady from Prove who got in a plane crash and burned 80 percent of her body and recovered? Yeah, this is her book. Let me just tell you how absolutely amazing it was to read.  She really put some things into perspective for me.  After the crash she struggled, as any person would be.  But to kinda help her recover, she talked about the precious moments that she shared with her husband as well as each of her children.  This has inspired me.

To be honest, this move has been harder on me than I let on.  I mean I know that I am here for a reason and am more than happy to support my husband, but it has been lonely.  I know that this is because I have nothing to do day in and day out, and that when I start working next week I will probably be missing the days of no real responsibilities, but right now, it is hard.  Since being out here, even though I have been working out more than I did in Utah, I have been gaining some weight, which, I don't care how "skinny" you are, gaining weight for any woman is depressing, especially if you are working out.  On top of that I spend most of my day alone in our cute little apartment.  It is cute and I love it, but the walls feel like they are caving in at times!  So I have been feeling a little bit sorry for myself for gaining weight and being alone all day. Then "Nie Nie" talked about how miserable her days are with all the bandage changes and medication and hardly being able to get out of bed and I had to scold myself.  So in the spirit of looking at the bright side, I have come up with a list of daily precious moments that I get to have during these weeks of no work and no nothing.

1.  Waking up and going to the gym with Zack.  It is a bit of a walk from the car to the weight room, and I honestly cherish the walks that I get to spend with him hand in hand talking about school and our future and all of that before he heads off for the day.
2. Eating dinner every night together.  Since school started, I have tried to make a nice dinner every night.  I have succeeded almost every day since we got here! (besides tonight, we went and got pizza)  But that time where we are eating dinner and discussing the day really does make my heart swell. I love it.
3. Reading scriptures. No matter how busy the day gets, I love having those guaranteed 20 minutes every night where I get to spend time growing closer to my husband and closer to Heavenly Father.  I don't care how frustrated you are with someone, or how neglected you feel, or any negative feelings that you may have, when you sit and study the word of God together, any hard feelings just melt away, and are replaced with feelings of complete love and adoration.
4. This one was hard for me to get to at first, but then I talked to my mom last night and she helped me see it for the wonderful blessing that it is.  I study with Zack.  If he has a presentation, I help him put it together.  I edit his papers, and I listen to his speeches that he has to give over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.  So many times in fact, that I could give the presentation myself and still get a pretty freaking good grade on it.  At first, it was hard and sucky to stay up late to read and edit papers several times over (My husband is VERY much a perfectionist, so these papers get edited more times than I think they need to).  But then my mom helped me see how special that time was.  So I am grateful for it.

I know it has been a while since we have posted pictures, BUT we haven't really had time to take any.  Zack did take me out on our weekly date night last Friday night to Olive Garden and to the mall to get him a planner and me a phone case. We had a blast! And his grades are coming good so far!  He had his mid-terms today and will have his finals on Thursday or Friday.  Crazy how fast he blasts through these classes.  Well I had better go pack Zack's lunch for tomorrow and get his gym clothes and bag packed.  Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment